I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Thursday, October 18, 2012

Truth be Told...

This is not a true story. Unless you define true as "a figment of one's imagination, with tiny glimpses of reality tossed in." In which case, we would get along really well...because I'm always looking to blur the lines between fact and fiction. As a writer and habitual daydreamer, I suppose that's just my natural tendency.

Anyway, today is about as warm and perfect as it gets. So I'm glad I finished writing this strange little story because, to be honest, I just want to go play in the sunshine.

Love,

Lisa





 
 

I’m left wiping at my eyes instead,

And swearing that I’m better yet

While waiting for time to pass by

 

The lyrics float through my head in a circular pattern: they appear, then disappear, then return to sight. Just like the piles of debris littering this side of Steiner Street.

Stepping over a stack of half-eaten Starbucks sandwiches, I sigh. There will be another decaying pile of food in a block or two. It’s part of life in this section of town.

A bell chimes from the Catholic church down the street, signaling that it’s noon.

Like a bolt of lightning, an idea strikes me.

And watching the minute hand fly,” I murmur aloud. My chest fills with excitement over this small accomplishment.

“Lisa!” someone shouts.

I immediately turn toward the sound.

My escape-artist roommate, who’s become quite skilled at disappearing for days and then magically reappearing to do a single load of laundry, waves at me. She’s standing directly in front of the park; a bunch of teenage boys pause their soccer game to glance at her. Iris has the most perfect smile and this lush, vibrant hair that belongs in a commercial. She’s gorgeous.

I lift a hand, waving back.

“You look so happy,” she calls out as we continue in opposite directions.

“That’s ‘cause I just finished the chorus,” I shout, even though we’re too far apart to hear each other at this point.

My phone buzzes with a text from Iris. Good to see ya, roomie! Can I reserve the laundry machine tomorrow night?

Sure thing, I write back. I’ll be in SOMA anyways.

There’s an open mic tomorrow in SOMA and one on Wednesday in North Beach. I’ll sing my newest original song to a ragtag group of daydreamers who may or may not be able to pay rent this month.

Angry shouts stir me from my thoughts. “Outta the way! C’mon, move over! What’re ya doing?”

The sound of metal grinding against cement makes me cringe.

Just ahead, there’s an old lady in a wheelchair. She’s blocking the sidewalk, which has elicited unkind words from passersby.

Usually I ignore these awkward situations, but this woman catches my attention for some reason. Her gray hair is disheveled, tied up with a single elastic. The grooves on her face indicate she’s somewhere in her mid-seventies, or perhaps older. But certainly not younger.

Sagging skin dangles from her arms and mascara slides down her weathered cheeks.

What a mess, I think.

The wheelchair rests beside the curb, right in the flow of traffic. Her arms shake as she tries to propel herself over the curb. Clearly, the incline is too steep; she breathes loudly, exerting every ounce of force she possibly can.

She doesn’t ask for my help, doesn’t utter a word. I get behind her wheelchair anyway, though. With one effortless push, the wheels slide over the two-inch cement hurdle.

She glances up at me. Her eyes are brown like mine, except faded around the corners. One glance in those irises is enough to take my breath away; startled, I gasp for air.

I know who you are, I reflect. In all the strange novels and short stories I’ve written, I created scenarios like this one. But I never envisioned myself in the story, and I certainly didn’t predict the coldness that would sweep across my skin.

“Oh, dear,” she says, each word as shaky as the skin hanging beneath her chin. “You’re the only one who was willing to help me. Thank you.”

I gnaw on the inside of my cheek so hard that I almost draw blood. “Um…you’re welcome?”

“You remind me of myself, years ago. I used to be quite lovely, you know,” she says with a wink. Then she spins her wheels, jutting forward.

I watch the lady cruise down the street.

“While waiting for the time to pass me by,” she sings as she approaches Fillmore Street. “And watching the minute hand fly…”

She has no wedding ring, no companions or even friends to help her along. She looks haggard and used-up, like she’s outstayed her welcome in this world. Just another weird lady singing a weird song that nobody else knows.

The woman embodies every fear of mine, every foolish insecurity that keeps me awake at night.

But there was one vestige of hope, one glimmer of inspiration in those gray-brown eyes of hers. In spite of the loneliness, there was love in those irises. It shined brightly.

I continue down Steiner with shaky hands. I only look back once; by then, the wheelchair has vanished. But I don’t doubt what I experienced this afternoon, nor do I doubt its meaning. Not for a second.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment