I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Tuesday, October 23, 2012

If I'm Not Here...

In honor of today being Tuesday, I am posting a story about an amazing ministry that takes place in the Mission every Tuesday. It's been a huge part of my life here in San Francisco.

I'd be lying if I said I always kept my composure during this event. I've cried, hugged strangers, held conversations in my broken Spanish, and felt the heaviness of others' heartaches. It's been a crazy ride, for sure.

Love,

Lisa




If I’m Not Here

 

“If I’m not here next week, it’s because I killed myself,” he says with a straight face.

                I grab two bottles of Tapatio from the center of the table, pretending to clean them with my anti-bacterial wipes. Fingers slide over glass, but it’s just for show.

Sunlight filters in through the windows overhead. There are beams of gold dipping all the way to the ground, as though someone is offering a silky yellow lifeline. Unfortunately, the man isn’t interested in reaching for it.

His voice grows progressively more somber as he delivers his own eulogy.

“Life don’t have nothin’ for me anymore,” he says. “What’s this world got to offer? I ain’t had my own bed for ten years. No job, no family, not a dollar to my name. For me, life ended a long time ago.”

My eyes flick toward the man, whose hair is caked with debris. He smells like beer and sewage. Blood trickles from one ear, a parade of little red dots marching down his neck.

                “Don’t do it,” Jose tells the man. Although his accent is thick, his words are clear as day. “Suicide won’t solve your problems, brother.”

                “Yes it will,” the man swears, his tone combative. “You’ll never understand! You have no idea what I’ve been through.”

                Jose pauses for a second. “You know something?”

                The man shrugs. “Huh?”

                Jose places a hand on his dirt-encrusted arm. “It’s ok to be angry and upset. The hurt, the loss…it’s all real. But even in the worst of it, you are loved.”

                “Ha!” the man scoffs. He pushes his plate across the table; it slides down the wooden surface, landing right in front of me. I pick up the grimy dish, knowing I’ll have to wash my hands twice after touching this thing.

                “God can carry you through anything,” Jose says. “He didn’t promise an easy life, but He did promise to remain by our side throughout all of it.”

                “You can’t be serious,” the man spits. He looks Jose in the eye, then quickly shifts his gaze toward the windows. “That’s just lies they feed you in this church. Where was God when I needed Him? Where was He when I lost my family?”

                The man releases a sigh, which echoes off the walls and causes a shrill ringing in my ears. It’s the loneliest sound I’ve ever heard.

“I don’t want to talk no more,” the man says. He rises from his chair.

“Where are you going? We have time,” Jose insists.

Whirling around, I check the giant clock on the wall. It’s nearly one o’clock. The room was supposed to be emptied and cleaned half an hour ago.

                I hurry to the last table, grabbing the bottles of hot sauce in the center. I scrub them rigorously.

                “We’re running behind today,” someone notes.

I whirl around, coming face-to-face with Sheila, the volunteer coordinator. A mass of blond hair frames her porcelain skin; it might be summer in San Francisco, but Sheila’s as pale as she was in the dead of winter. Which was when we met, in fact.

“Yeah. I guess everyone lost track of time,” I say.

Abandoning my sanitized rags, I help her fold chairs.

                “Are you ok?” she asks.

I bite my lip. “Yeah. It’s just really…sad.”

Sheila leans over and whispers directly into my ear. “He does this every week.”

                “He does?”

                Sheila nods, jutting her chin in the direction of the homeless man. He doesn’t appear to be at all comforted by the words Jose is offering. In fact, the man looks like he’s damaged beyond repair.

                “Every week, he swears he’s going to commit suicide,” Sheila clarifies. “It’s a cry for attention. But that’s the case with most of the guys who come here. They’re not mentally stable.”

                “It’s a shame,” I note, unable to make sense of the brokenness I’ve seen today.

                “It certainly is. But we’re not here to save the world,” Sheila continues. “We’re here to love our neighbors. Simple as that. Keep your head up, Lisa. Don’t let the chaos deter you.”

                “I won’t,” I promise.

                She winks, then wraps an arm around my shoulders. “I started helping with this ministry ten years ago. You were, what, in high school?”
                “The tail end of it,” I tell her with a chuckle.

                “Of course! Me too,” she jokes. “Ah, the good ol’ days. Anyway, I’ve been helping every Tuesday for a decade. And you know something?”

                “Hmm?”

                “I’ve seen some crazy stuff,” Sheila declares. “But I don’t regret any of it.”

                I glance at the homeless man, who’s reaching for things. He has a jacket, a bottle of liquor, and several old newspapers.

As he gathers his pitiful belongings, Jose offers to pray for him.

                “I should sanitize that chair, huh?” I ask Sheila. From halfway across the room, I can see the streaks of mud that on the metal seat.

                She nods. “Yeah. This is the glamorous life. Welcome to the Tuesday lunch ministry, Lisa.”
                “Happy to be here,” I say with a firm nod.

No comments:

Post a Comment