I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Thursday, December 6, 2018

Coast to Coast



My thirteenth novel was inspired by my real-life cross-country journey from Orlando to San Francisco (then back to Orlando...then back to San Francisco). I loved the slow, easy pace of Florida life as much as I relished the exciting buzz of living in The Bay Area. For me, SF's magic was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Meanwhile, Florida's quiet comfort felt reassuring and safe. My gypsy soul craved both extremes, apparently. 

It's interesting that I wound up in Dallas, halfway between both coasts. My husband, home, and furbabies are in North Texas. We'll be here for the foreseeable future, but I am so thankful for the bi-coastal adventures woven into my life story.

Callie Schneider, the protagonist in this novel, doesn't have a set plan. She flies by the seat of her pants, always eager for the next opportunity to try something new.  She's living in San Francisco but making friends around the country. Her life's about to change drastically; although she can't see what's coming, she's up for the challenge.  She just doesn't realize it yet.




Chapter 4: DECEMBER 23
“Callie!” Teresa yells from across the crew room.
I glance up from my computer and wave to Teresa. Then I hurriedly click a few keys, completing my check-in. Teresa meanders through the sea of suitcases and lunchbags until she is directly beside me. We walk to the printer together.
“Hi lady,” she smiles. Her vest looks look freshly-ironed. Her shoes are so clean they shine, unlike my scuffed-up heels. “Where are you flying today?”
I retrieve my trip sheet from the printer and read my pairing aloud. “Let’s see…San Francisco to St. Louis to Pittsburgh.”
“Pitt? Bummer,” Teresa says, grabbing the sheet from my hand. “How about tomorrow night? Oh, you’re in Orlando. Hmm, I have double Austin layovers.”
I groan. “The Marriott by Congress Street? That’s one of the best overnights in the system. I’m jealous!”
She hands my sheet back to me. Then she glances in the mirror beside the check-in station and toys with her blond hair. “You still living in Pac Heights? With those two girls who work downtown?”
“Yep. Tammy and Linda. They’re both in finance.”
Teresa’s brown eyes sparkle. “You’re really living it up, huh? I’d kill to live in that area. You must love it.”
I nod. “I got a great deal, rent-controlled and all that. It’s pretty surreal. Our apartment is central to everything.”
Teresa smiles. “That’s an understatement.”
“How’s Spokane?” I ask. “Is it cold there now? Snowing?”
She nods and pulls a pair of polka-dot earmuffs from her oversized purse. “Don’t laugh. I have to wear these when I commute home. Spokane has been an icebox lately, and it’s only December.”
“If you have to wear earmuffs, at least you got cute ones,” I say with a shrug. “I like the colors.”
“Zack bought them for me! That clown actually has a matching pair. In fact, he was wearing them this morning, when he commuted in,” Teresa says.
I pause as an idea forms in my mind. “Zack Friedman? He’s flying today?”
Teresa nods. “He was in the crew room a minute ago. I think he just left.”
“You know where he’s heading?”
She bites her lip. “Uhh…I think he said Phoenix then Denver. Or maybe Denver first, then Phoenix?”
I reach for my suitcase and jog toward the exit. “Thanks, love! Have a good trip! See ya around.”
It’s noisy in the terminal today, with holiday travelers crowding every walkway. Kids run and play, oblivious to the world around them. Every seat in the airport appears to be occupied. Christmas music blares through the speakers, the lyrics to “White Christmas” getting stuck in my head as I scan the departure screen.
“Phoenix leaves from gate 14, Denver from gate 11,” I note aloud.
I reach gate 11 first. The flight crew is waiting by the jetbridge, their uniforms crisp and clean. There are two older ladies and a younger one with stunning green eyes. No sign of Zack, though.
Gate 14 is so crowded that it takes me a minute to spot the flight attendants. Zack leans against a window, waiting for his plane to arrive. I sidestep toddlers and a service dog to get to him.
“Zack!” I say breathlessly.
He turns toward me. “California! Hey girl! Merry Christmas…almost.”
I wheel my suitcase beside his. “Thanks, you too. Teresa told me you were in the airport today.”
“Yep. Starting a three-day trip,” he says with a nod. “You?”
“Same. Pittsburgh and Orlando,” I tell him. “Hey, uh…I have a weird question. Did you get any of those boys’ numbers when we were in West Palm?”
Zack winks at me. “I sure did. You trying to get in touch with Andrew? One night wasn’t enough?”
If only you knew, I think.
“Something like that,” I say.
Zack scrolls through his phone. “Well, I saved Daryl’s number. Here…I’m forwarding you his contact info. I bet Daryl will be happy to give you Andrew’s number, or at least pass your number along to him.”
I check my phone and Juan’s number lights up my screen. “Thanks, Zack. I owe ya.”
He pulls me into a side hug. “Don’t mention it. Know what? We should pick up a trip together next month. It would be fun.”
I nod. “Sure. And if you’re ever get stuck in the bay before or after a trip, feel free to crash at my place.”
The buzzing of an aircraft gets louder; Zack’s plane has arrived. I glance outside. This particular plane has been painted for the holidays. Snowflakes cover the fuselage.
“Well look at that. I got the Christmas plane for my Christmas trip,” Zack notes with a smile. He heads down the jetbridge. “Have a good one, Cal!”
As Zack disappears from sight, I shoot Daryl a quick text. Hey, this is Callie, the SkyLine flight attendant who visited West Palm with Zack Friedman. Just wondering if you could send me Andrew’s number…I never got a chance to write it down…
Daryl’s response arrives before I even make it to my departure gate. Sure. Andrew talks about you a lot. He’d love to hear from you.
I snort as I read the text. Andrew talks about me “a lot?” We spent eight hours together…and we slept half those hours anyway.
Daryl must be thinking of someone else, I reflect..
***
When we land in Pittsburgh, it’s dark outside. I check my cell phone. 10:16pm.
Vera, a tall girl with a gorgeous complexion, is flying the lead position. I’ve seen her around the base before but this is our first trip together.
She completes her closing announcement as we taxi into the gate. “On behalf of this entire crew and all of SkyLine Airways, thanks for flying with us today. Welcome to Pittsburgh! Enjoy the holidays.”
I hop out of my jumpseat as soon as the airplane reaches a stop.
“Cal, you coming downstairs for a drink tonight?” Vera asks as she disarms her door.
I lift the girt bar on my door then turn toward Vera. “Nah. I would, but I’m too exhausted. Plus it’s a short layover.”
Vera smiles understandingly. “True. Thankfully, our Orlando layover will be much longer.”
The shuttle ride to our hotel is fairly quiet. Both pilots are playing on their phones and the flight attendants are talking about our new crew hotel in Boston. It’s snowing outside, big snowflakes that pile up quickly.
In the hotel room, I collapse on my bed. For about thirty seconds, I stare at my phone screen. Then I slip out of my flight attendant dress and throw on an oversized t-shirt. I sit up against the headrest and dial Andrew’s number.
“Hello?” Andrew’s voice explodes in my eardrum after the third ring.
I swallow. “Oh, hi Andrew. This is Callie, the flight attendant who was in town on Halloween. Sorry to call you so late.”
“Callie! Hey! I’m glad you called. Daryl told me you asked for my number today. I would’ve reached out to you sooner, Cal.  But you left in such a rush that morning, I never even got your number.”
That was on purpose, I note internally.
“How are you?” he continues. “How have you been?”
“I’m fine,” I lie. “Just traveling and trying to stay warm. It’s snowing in Pittsburgh tonight. You doing ok, Andrew?”
“Yes. But I’d be better with you here.”
“It was just one night…” I remind him.
“Which is why I would like more time with you,” he clarifies.
I roll my eyes at his enthusiasm. “Listen, Andrew, there’s something I wanted to talk to you about-“
“Over dinner, maybe?” he interrupts. “Are you flying back to West Palm anytime soon?”
I turn on speakerphone and scroll through my SkyLine app to find my monthly schedule. “Uhh, let me check…I don’t have any PBI layovers in January. I have one in Miami, on January 1st.”
“Hmm. A week from now,” Andrew notes. “Where are you this weekend?”
“Pittsburgh tonight. It’s snowing here. Tomorrow we work three flights to Orlando.”
“Orlando! That’s not far from me. What time do you arrive?”
“6 p.m.,” I say.
“I’ll pick you up at the airport. There are some great restaurants in Winter Park, which is only about twenty minutes away. We can get something to eat.”
“Are you sure?” I ask him. “It’s Christmas Eve, Andrew.”
“That’s not a problem. Restaurants should be open.”
I pause. “What about your family; won’t you be celebrating? And Isn’t it a long drive for you?”
“We are Jewish so we won’t be going to church, if that’s what you’re asking,” he says. “And I don’t mind the drive. See you tomorrow at 6.”
As soon as I close out the call, I search the distance from West Palm to Orlando. Google informs me it’s a two and a half hour drive. Without traffic.
“Andrew, you’re a nutcase…” I mutter as I drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment