I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Monday, June 12, 2017

Yes.


I'm rarely awake to see the sunrise, but today I did so at 35,000 feet above ground. 

It's a much different experience from this perspective; rather than watching a glowing orb ascend from the horizon, at this height, you see a stream of colors dancing below. Gradually, that medley of light rises until it encompasses the plane.

This morning, as the sun gained prominence in the sky, I decided to walk through the cabin. Something sparkled on my finger, illuminating my left hand. I stopped for a moment. Right there in the middle of the aisle, I paused to admire the diamond band given to me exactly two days ago. The ring itself is breathtaking. The story behind it is even more amazing. 

I was never entirely convinced I would meet my life partner. The older I got, the more it seemed that marriage was designed for other people; for me, relationships typically ended in heartbreak and disappointment. 

And then, one day last fall, my mindset changed. People always say that when you know, you know. In the past, I often thought I "knew." Then I would watch that certainty dissolve over time.

I met Derek on a busy day. My entire life was in transition, and he walked me through that messy period with a kind of grace I never knew existed.

Early on, I realized this man is everything I love in this world. And everything I aspire to be.

I didn't just know that derek was the one for me; I believed it, embraced it, clung to it and celebrated it. There's knowledge, and then there is resolve. I resolved to love him with my entire (bruised) heart. I vowed to try my best because this person was unlike anyone I had met; he was far better than anything I could've ever imagined. 

Last Saturday, I came home to rose petals sprinkled across my staircase like confetti. The trail of flowers led to my bedroom, where Derek awaited with a single question. I blurted out "ABSOLUTELY!" before he had even finished speaking. 

I'm not just content at the prospect of spending my life with this man; I'm honored and mesmerized by it.

So I said yes on on Saturday. I'm thrilled to offer Derek my whole heart, for my whole life. He's my unexpected sunrise, more radiant than predicted. I cannot wait to navigate this world with my best friend and hero.

Let's go get married, baby. Thank you, in advance, for all the decades and memories and adventures that await us.

Love, 
Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment