I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Monday, September 10, 2012

Krista's Search

Armed with a new laptop (yay! No more unexplained system failures while I'm in the middle of typing), I'm back in frantic writing mode.

This is a pretty crucial time for me; I've got two months on solid ground and a head full of crazy ideas.

I'm in the process of editing "In Search of Me." At the same time, I'm working on its sequel, "With the Band." Deadline: November 1st. Even though I only have 3000 words at this point, I'll finish it by then! It's just going to take some fearlessness, grit, and determination.

Fortunately, I'm not afraid to get a little dirty.

The first few pages from "With the Band" are posted below. Krista's back, and she's got a lo of chaos to deal with. Luckily for her, it's going to be one exciting ride. After all, Krista's touring the country with a popular band and pooling her powers with those of the other bandmates.

Not a bad way to spend a summer...

Love,
Lisa




Preface

The fact that I wore braces for two years should've been a warning sign.

I mean, everyone else in my family had perfect teeth, the kind that belonged in a toothpaste commercial. My sister's smile was dazzling enough to make her one of the most popular girls in Atlanta. From Decatur to Riverdale, Talia was a superstar. And she had the grin to prove it.

I, on the other hand, had mouth full of metal for twenty-six months.

Total red-flag, right?

Well, my parents finally told me the truth. When I was fifteen.

After a decade of fables and fairytales, they admitted I was adopted. The red-headed girl with a constellation of freckles across her nose was not, in fact, part of the Contessa clan. At least, not biologically.

Things for pretty weird after that.

I spent the first few days wallowing in disbelief. Then I moved on to anger. Then resentment. Then self-loathing. Eventually, I embarked on a new mission: embracing my recently-discovered superpowers.

You see, my birth mom had given me more than messed-up teeth and frizzy hair.

No big deal.

Chapter 1

"Don't say no!" Mandy begs, her voice drowned out by drumbeats and microphone feedback.

"Huh?" I ask, pressing the phone against my ear. "I can barely hear you."

"I'm at band practice with Ethan," she explains. "Come with us tonight, Krista. I need you there."

I lean against the headrest, letting my pillows provide a fluffy cushion for my neck. After trekking around town all day, it feels good to sit still. "Oh Mandy. It might be too much. I mean, Meghan and I walked all over Buckhead. I'm exhausted."

Mandy sighs.

What I can't tell her is that I'd love to go, except I'm scared to death of seeing Ethan. Or, more accurately, seeing Ethan with Mandy. She's my best friend, he's the only guy I've ever really cared about, and they're a couple. A new, adorable couple.

"Tonight's just not good," I say quietly.

"But I miss you," Mandy protests. "Soon I'll be in Chapel Hill for three months, and I want to enjoy every minute with you before I go. What can I say? I'm greedy. It's because I'm an only child."

I chuckle at this. Leave it to Mandy to make me laugh while my heart is slowly breaking.

"Ok," I finally concede. "I'll come to dinner with the band. But you'd better appreciate this! I'm the best best friend ever."

"Yes you are," she agrees cheerfully. "See you at Ray's Seafood at seven."

No comments:

Post a Comment