I have written 12.5 novels. (The thirteenth one is a work in progress). This is the space where I share my stories with the world. There is so much to say in this life, and so little time...



Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nothing Left of Me

The time has come to say goodbye to "The View from Way Up Here."

Sheesh...what was I thinking? With a title like that, it was bound to be a failure! Well I wrote the book as a way to purge my soul of all these traveling adventures I've experienced. It wasn't really designed for the public to read, so I removed it from the B&N shelf. This was a long-overdue action. I feel good about it.

In it's place, I have added the newest (old) novel of mine, book #3. I also tweaked the title of the book. Lots of changes yesterday. Maybe I should've gotten a tattoo, also (just kidding. sort of).

"Nothing Left of Me" is now available at BarnesandNoble.com. This book depicts the horror of an eating disorder. It follows a confused college student as she tries to overcome the death of a family member. It also addresses marriage, broken dreams...and a broken heart. Alyssa Rossini is the most damaged heroine in any of my stories. She is flawed and messed-up and real. I love the girl.

So check it out. Search my name on barnesandnoble & see for yourself if the book is worth reading. An excerpt is posted below.

Love, Lisa



When I get to my dorm room, I set the letter on my desk. It feels good to collapse onto my bed.

I lie flat on the mattress, staring out the window at the setting sun. It’s beautiful. Night is about to pour in, with its silent dark charisma. In the half light of dusk, I glance down at my darkened arms. I spent a long time in the Trini sun today. I’m at least three shades darker than I was before.

I realize that I never finished Kevin’s letter. There were a couple of paragraphs left.

I lie very still, debating. Will it make things better or worse to read the rest of the letter?

Probably worse, I admit. Everything I do somehow makes it worse.

After a moment, I lift my hand and grab the paper. My eyes scan the words nervously.

…Either way, it’s been too long! It’ll be good for us to reconnect.
I value our friendship so much, Alyssa. You’ve been there for me since we were teenagers, and I’ll never forget the time we spent together. High school basketball games, small group at my house, spring break in Orlando.


Megan told me your response card came in right before you left for Trinidad. I’m so glad you’ll be able to at the wedding. It means a lot to have you there. My family will love seeing you; after four months in Trinidad, you’ll have so much to tell Caryssa, Sandy and my parents! They’ve always enjoyed talking to you. Especially Sandy. She really looks up to you. You were like a big sister to her throughout high school.

Yeah. And for a while, I thought I really would be her big sister someday. Legally. Funny how Kevin skips over that part. I guess Megan is more deserving of the title.

Well I have to get going. So much to do here. Be safe and enjoy Caribbean life. I’ll see you soon! Can’t wait to explore the island with you. I’m sure by then you’ll know Trinidad like the back of your hand. Or maybe you already do…you always were great with directions.
Take care, Alyssa.
~Kevin


I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. It’s as if Kevin is trying to make me hurt. Telling me he is coming in a month and a half…it’s vicious.

I’ve been through this before; I can predict what’ll happen: the next few weeks, my life will be put on hold. There will be nothing but anticipation. I’ll be living in the future, waiting for that stupid day when Kevin arrives. And when October 18th does come, I’ll feel important for about ten seconds. I’ll probably have a resurgence of hope. But nothing will change, in the end.

Isn’t that how it always is with Kevin? Excitement builds, expectations multiply, and nothing ever happens. Well, that’s not entirely true. One thing happens: I fade away a little more each time.

I decrease in size. Do my disappearing act, which I’m good at. It’s taken years of practice, but I really have become an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment